W E L C O M E
to the Rodmell village community website
Our website aims to be a source of information for all areas of life in the village of Rodmell and neighbouring hamlet of Northease. It is for everyone who lives here, and for all ages and interests.
Residents and businesses in the parish are invited to send in any items they'd like included on the village website - click on FIND OUT MORE >>>
For more about our website, and how to get your information put onto it, click on the RIGHT >>>
Find what you're looking for in Rodmell & Northease by choosing from the Headings on the LEFT <<<
Please remember that all information on this website is provided in good faith, and the administrators cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies.
Scroll down this page to see local village news, and what's on in Rodmell this month.
NEWS! ... News! ... NEWS! ... News!
Brief Disruptions to our Power Supply
10 October: Following the ongoing brief disruptions to our electricity supply over the last few days, Judith Bradbury (Parish Clerk) has passed on the following update from Richard Roberts:
I received an update from our Area Manager who is responsible for the Lewes Area electricity distribution network. He confirmed the line patrol was completed yesterday and he believes we've identified the potential cause of the short duration interruptions which relates to trees coming into contact with the lines between the Rodmell Church and Deans Farm Reclosers.
The aim is to cut the trees today (10 October) so hopefully the issue will be resolved. In the event the interruptions continue, I'll contact the team again so they can have a look for other potential causes. ... UK Power Networks (formerly EDF) apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Rodmell Parish Council - Newsletter
RPC's September newsletter has been delivered to all households in the parish, and can be viewed here: Groups & Activities. It has updates on various matters including: Broadband, Rodmell-Northease footpath, Defibrillator coming to the Village, Bus services consultation and the possibility of benefitting from a small Community award.
Coffee Club meeting - in aid of Macmillan Coffee Morning Fund
A quick reminder to everyone that our first Coffee Club meeting after the Summer break will be this Wednesday 24 September in the Village Hall at 11.00am. We plan to do a bit of low-key fund raising for the Macmillan Coffee Morning Fund - and Pat Allcorn has kindly promised to make a cake! So, we hope to see as many of you as possible for coffee, a bit of cake and a chat.
Learn to save a life using our new Defibrillator
Now that we have a life-saving defibrillator ready to be installed at the pub, South East Ambulance Service will demonstrate how to use it on Wednesday 24 September, 7.30pm, in the Village Hall.
Come and find out more - with tea/coffee and biscuits in the Village Hall.
Have your say: Bus Changes Consultation survey
East Sussex County Council (ESCC) is running a consultation for their proposed changes to our bus service, and they are keen to hear everyone’s views on the proposals. The closing date for receipt of any comments is midnight on Sunday 28 September.
To print a copy of the survey form, click on:
ESCC Bus Consultation Survey (doc)
Love your Bus - campaign against ESCC cuts to our bus service
NOTE: Rodmell Parish Council discussed this issue at their meeting on 7 July (see Minutes for the meeting) and will make a response to ESCC about their proposals.
If East Sussex Council have their way, the fares on many local bus services will increase by up to 30% in April 2015 and the frequency of services will be slashed. Some buses will only run every two hours - including our 123 bus running along the C7, other buses will only run 2 days a week.
Phone East Sussex County Council on 0345 60 80 194 FREE, to find out exactly how your bus service & fares will be affected. Ask them for the consultation document now, as there is a time limit for making your views heard.
You can find out more and make your views known by visiting: www.travelloglewes.co.uk
The "Love your bus" campaign is co-ordinated by Lewes Stop the Cuts. Contact us via email@example.com
Bespoke Travel - September newsletter
Rodmell resident, Liz King, is a Bespoke Travel agent and a mine of information about anything you could wish for when thinking about your holidays! Liz will now write a monthly newsletter for Rodmell's website, to keep us all up-to-date with news and latest offers: see Local Business in & around Rodmell
The Egrets Way Rodmell to Southease section
7 June 2014: The Egrets Way Rodmell to Southease section of the Ouse Valley Cycle Network is now officially open and you can walk / cycle along the riverbank.
Rodmell Camera Club - the future?
3 June 2014: It has been decided that, due to a general lack of interest, the Rodmell Camera Club will be suspended until such time as any current or potential members express an interest in getting together for a meeting or an excursion.
A big 'Thank you' to Bob Foster for his hard work, enthusiasm and efforts with our Camera Club, including organising our meetings, and various photography excursions and talks.
Monk's House car park - update
The long awaited extension to the Monk's House car park is now complete. The original car park has been tidied up to create more spaces here. The new parking area will be reserved and cordoned off for National Trust visitors only. Please park carefully in the marked spaces as this helps to increase the number of cars that can use the car park. Please also take any rubbish home with you as there isn't a bin in the car park.
Problem dogs on The Drove
Rodmell Parish Council continues to try to find a solution to this problem (see Minutes of Parish Council Meetings Groups & Activities).
Please could everyone who experiences any problems going past the smallholding - such as feeling intimidated or having their dog attacked - inform the Clerk to the Parish Council (see Groups & Activities for contact details), so that she can keep a record. This will help with future resolutions of this problem.
Rodmell Parish Council: Minutes of previous meetings
The dates of RPC meetings, plus Minutes & Agendas, can be seen in Groups & Activities
WHAT'S ON this month in RODMELL ?
PLEASE NOTE: due to computer problems, the list below has not been updated. All information for events during September and October is given in full in the Diary & Events section of this website.
Services in St Peter's Church, Rodmell
For details of all the church services in St Peter's this month, see About Rodmell and in the Parish Magazine (copies available in Church).
Village Hall bookings
Please Note: as from August 2014, the list of Village Hall bookings will no longer be available on Rodmell's website. For information about groups that usually use our Village Hall, see Diary & Events section for details.
Abergavenny Arms pub
Our local pub is now run by Lucie and Jon, and they welcome everyone to our village pub for their exciting programme of great food, special offers, live music, and lots of activities - see About Rodmell for details.
To book a table, phone 01273 472 416, or see About Rodmell and www.abergavennyarms.com
Monk's House & garden
Monk’s House and garden are now open to visitors in the afternoons from Wednesday to Sunday, including Bank Holiday Mondays, until 26 October 2014. This year there is an extensive programme of events at Monk's House which can be viewed in the Diary & Events section of this website.
To find out more about meetings for the following groups, please contact the organisers for each:
- Rodmell Sewing Group
Tuesday 1 July
- Parent & Toddler Group meets in the Village Hall, 9.30am-11.30am, each Tuesday morning during term-time. See Diary & Events for details.
Wednesday 2 July
- The Rubber Bridge Club meets every Wednesday evening, 7.30pm–9.30pm, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere in Kingston Pavilion - All welcome. NOTE: from 4th June, Rodmell Bridge Club amalgamated with Kingston’s bridge club and will now meet at Kingston Pavilion. See Diary & Events for details.
Thursday 3 July
- 1st Rodmell & Northease Cubs/Scouts meet every Thursday evening during term-time: 6.30pm at the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for details.
Friday 4 July
- Rodmell Craft & Produce Stall 11am-4pm each Friday during the summer, on the corner by the notice board & letterbox, opposite the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for details.
- Expensive Mistakes 2 – Fabulous Fashion Fundraiser at Southease Place, Southease, 10am-3pm. See Diary & Events for details.
- Monk's House event - Summer Lecture: Virginia Woolf as a Cubist Writer 7.30pm. Booking Essential - see Diary & Events for details.
Saturday 5 July
- Expensive Mistakes 2 – Fabulous Fashion Fundraiser at Southease Place, Southease, 10am-2pm. See Diary & Events for details.
Monday 7 July
- Rodmell Parish Council meeting 8pm in the village hall – all welcome. See Diary & Events for the Agenda.
Wednesday 9 July
- Monk's House event - Botanical Vegetable Painting 10.00am. Booking essential - see Diary & Events for details.
Friday 11 July
- Northease Manor School end of summer term. Autumn term begins on Monday 8 September 2014.
Saturday 12 July
- Readings in the Garden - Monk's House event at 2pm, 3pm and 4pm. Free events (normal admission charges to Monk's House & Garden apply) - see Diary & Events for details.
Sunday 13 July
- Rodmell Cricket Club fixture against Pathfinder, 2.30pm start on the Sports Field. See Diary & Events for details of all RCC fixtures this summer.
Tuesday 15 July
- Rodmell & Southease WI Members’ Meeting 7.30pm in the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for details.
Friday 18 July
- Garden Tours at Monk's House - Monk's House event starting at 3pm. Free event (normal admission charges to Monk's House & Garden apply) - see Diary & Events for details.
- Monk's House event – Summer Lecture: Virginia in Sussex 7.30pm in the Village Hall. Booking essential - see Diary & Events for details.
Sunday 20 July
- Rodmell Cricket Club fixture against East Dean, 2.30pm start on the Sports Field. See Diary & Events for details of all RCC fixtures this summer.
Tuesday 22 July
- Rodmell Cricket Club fixture T20 v Harvey's Brewery, 6.00pm start on the Sports Field (NB: 6pm start). See Diary & Events for details of all RCC fixtures this summer.
Wednesday 23 July
- Rodmell Coffee Club 11.00am-12.30pm, in the Village Hall - all welcome!
- Rodmell CofE School school term ends. First day of Term 1 will be on Thursday 4 September 2014.
Monday 28 July
- Book Group meets 8pm in the Abergavenny Arms - see Diary & Events for details.
See Diary & Events for more about all these events, and also for those happening in the months to come.
Do you have a news story?
If so, please contact us and let us know what you would like to see displayed on this page.