A Tour of Rodmell
A Tour of Rodmell
A Tour of Rodmell
A Tour of Rodmell
A Tour of Rodmell
A Tour of Rodmell
A Tour of Rodmell
A Tour of Rodmell

A Tour of Rodmell

Welcome to Rodmell!

Our charming and historic small village in the South Downs has been around at least since the time of William the Conqueror.

The name might be derived from “The Mill on the Road”, or from the “Red Mould” that gives a warm colouring to the surrounding farmlands. There certainly was a mill, though now all that remains of its memory is the name of Mill Lane. It appears to have been not far up from where Mill Lane meets the main road.

On this aerial view, the main road runs from top left to bottom right, with Mill Lane and Upper Rodmell going off it towards the top right and the Street and Lower Rodmell towards the bottom left. The Abergavenny Arms is more or less at the junction.

The Main Road

Rodmell’s only through road is locally known as the C7, going from Lewes and Kingston down to the port of Newhaven. From this central point of the village The Street goes downhill to Lower Rodmell to end at the River Ouse, and on the opposite side Mill Lane goes up the hill through the Upper village to where it reaches the South Downs Way.

Rodmell isn’t actually full of old vehicles – this one just happened to be passing! Just about where the old car is, there used to be a pond, and it was probably the arrival of the noisy beasts (and the tarmac roads they brought with them) that saw the pond off.

In front of the imposing Rodmell House is the remains of a small petrol station. The pumps are just scrap metal now, the station having been out of service for many years.

Mr Dean’s Forge

For many years this was a working smithy, a building full of remarkable stories and a link with Rodmell’s history. ‘Young’ Frank Dean, who died recently in his 80s, erected the replacement weather vane on the church that his grandfather had originally raised. The demand for the Forge’s services has fallen off in recent years and the building no longer houses a smithy.

Here’s an older Mr Dean

The Dicklands

Mill Lane, otherwise known as Upper Rodmell, is newer and less populated than The Street. Running off it in a crescent is one of our plots of social housing, called The Dicklands. This was the historical name for a large tract of land to the north-west of the village, and it seems that the original mill was situated on the other side of the lane just opposite here. Originally built to provide good accommodation for land workers and local heroes after the second world war, The Dicklands still provide affordable housing for local people.

There’s no formal village green, but the green beside the Dicklands provides a welcome open space that local kids use for a kick-about or frisbee throw.

The South Downs Way

Right at the top of Mill Lane we arrive at this hugely popular walking route, from which there are some fine views down to the village and towards Newhaven and Seaford Head.

Abergavenny Arms

Back on the main road and opposite the Forge is our local, the Abergavenny Arms. Not only does our pub serve great food and drink to visitors, walkers and passers-by, but it also provides a community focus. For many years the village pantomime took place here – now it’s in the Village Hall.

The Abergavenny Arms was known as ‘The Holly’ and ‘The Bell’ before reverting to its current name, by which it was known before it was ‘The Holly’. One of the inn’s former keepers (James Randall) is referred to in a will dated 1690. Here’s an older view:

The top of The Street

This view towards the main road shows the strange perspective of Rodmell House as it flares out towards the rear. Traditional flint walls like this one line the whole of the bottom half of the village.

Rodmell House is believed to have been built with the expectation of a railway line which never turned up! It’s not the most elegant building: originally it was to be light industrial – flour storage perhaps – but its current role is as flats.

The Old Rectory

This imposing building is a Queen Anne farmhouse with Victorian additions. Needless to say, the present Rector doesn’t live in it!

Next door is the Village Hall and the village Notice Board.

Deep Thatch Cottage

It’s easy to see where the name comes from! This wood-framed and wood-clad cottage is attached to what was a hovel with a yard for beef cattle (seen on the left).

It now offers holiday accommodation.

The Village Hall

Rodmell’s Village Hall was opened on 26 March 1960 by Leonard Woolf, replacing the Club Rooms – a military style hut remaining from the 1914-1918 war. The building was funded by public subscription and the charitable deeds state that it is for the use of the inhabitants of Rodmell for meetings, lectures, classes and other leisure time activities.

It might not be the prettiest building, but it is another vital ingredient in keeping Rodmell alive and working for its residents.

The Village Hall has an area for hosting meetings, concerts and pantomimes (even the odd wedding), and a kitchen/servery for serving teas & coffee – all of which can be hired for a very reasonable hourly or daily charge.

The Village School

Its position right in the heart of the village (the entrance to the church is on the left) and the very scale of the architecture made Rodmell’s primary school a very friendly place for children. The main part of the school was built in 1865, with another classroom added in 1910. It was further extended in more recent years, as can just be seen on the right.

Unfortunately the roll dropped in recent years and the school closed in 2018. It was bought in 2022 and is intended to be used in some way to aid the work of Monk’s House and the Charleston Trust: precise details are yet to be announced. At the far end, beyond the Lych Gate of the churchyard, is the playground, which still belongs to the Parish Council.


St Peter’s Church

There’s been a church in Rodmell since the Norman conquest, and the present one dates from the 12th century. It’s tiny, but perfectly formed and in the traditional Sussex Downland style, surrounded by a large churchyard in a tranquil situation with splendid views of the Downs behind. The oldest part of the church is supposed to date from before the Norman Conquest.

Monks House

This was the former home of the famous author Virginia Woolf and her husband Leonard. Monk’s House is now owned by The National Trust, and this year the house and gardens are open to visitors on In 2024 the house and beautiful gardens will be open to the public in the summer months, April to October, from Thursday to Saturday, 12.30 to 4.00pm for the house, and 5.00pm for the garden. Times do vary at the beginning and end of the season; pre-booking is essential and should be done via their website http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/sussex/monks-house

The house contains many beautiful and interesting artefacts and decorations, including paintings by Vanessa Bell, arising from the couple’s connection with the “Bloomsbury Set” at nearby Charleston Farmhouse.

Part of the Loop

At the bottom end of the village is a looping stretch of road which encompasses what may once have been a village green. On the right are three timber framed buildings which could date as far back as the 16th century. Those in the background are thatched. There are many similarly charming houses down here.

This is a ‘then and now’ comparison from along the Street. Sometimes you feel there hasn’t been a lot of change, though transport and people look somewhat different now.


A Tour of Rodmell

Welcome to Rodmell! Our charming and historic small village in the South Downs has been around at least since the time of William the Conqueror. The name might be derived

Read More »

Our Parish Council

If you would like to read agendas or minutes of Parish Council meetings or other Council documents, click HERE. OUR PARISH COUNCIL The parish of Rodmell and Northease has less

Read More »

Council Documents

Rodmell Parish Council documents you can view online: It is now mandatory for local Councils to publish their documents on an accessible free-of-charge website.  Just click on any of the

Read More »